The Department of Chinese Studies is an academic field dedicated to Chinese regional studies, aiming to cultivate talents with comprehensive knowledge of China through a well-rounded, comprehensive, and systematic education.
This department offers students the practical learning required by the local community, using various teaching methods such as cultivating Chinese conversation skills, language training in Chinese, and inviting foreign professors.
All students in the Chinese Studies department will be able to have the highest level of Chinese proficiency and confidence in Korea through differentiated Chinese education. In addition, this department fosters Chinese experts familiar with China, which has been emerging as a major world player, by systematically educating students in fields such as Chinese language, literature, history, philosophy, politics, economics, society, and culture. As a special elite course, it provides customized educational services suitable for each student's level and standards; and it is also possible to prepare for the Chinese language teaching certificate.
We offer practical programs for Chinese language through lectures in Chinese, and overseas training opportunities for students to have hands-on experience in language and culture. Furthermore, the annual Chinese Language and Culture Festival “Fa Le”(發樂) is held to contribute to improving students' language skills and understanding of Chinese culture.
Career Options after Graduation
Graduates majoring in Chinese studies can realize their dreams and contribute to society and national development by implementing their language skills and understanding of Chinese culture in various fields.
Potential Career Fields
- National Institutions: As the demand for a professional workforce with Chinese language proficiency increases rapidly, graduates can work as foreign language experts for various national institutions in positions such as diplomats, international officials, immigration officers, and civil servants in local governments.
- rade Business: Graduates can work as trade experts in charge of interpretation and consulting services in industries including corporations in the Yeosu National Industrial Complex and trade companies targeting China.
- Tourism Industry: With the expansion of exchange with China, graduates can work as experts related to tourism such as tour guides, hoteliers, and flight attendants.
- Chinese Research: Based on the knowledge and skills acquired during their undergraduate years, graduates can enter graduate schools and work as professional researchers.
- Education Sector: Those who have completed the teaching profession courses can work with Chinese educational experts in national educational institutions.
- Official language proficiency tests: New HSK, HSKK, New CPT
- Job-related qualifications for translators, interpreters, tour guides, hotel employees, etc.
- Teacher’s Certificate (Chinese)