The Department of English Studies aims to cultivate global experts, who actively respond to the changes in the world by strengthening their abilities based on an excellent command of English. We provide programs that intensively support students' efforts to master English, which has become the de facto official language of the international community as the world becomes more globalized and interconnected.
We also focus on strengthening practical communication skills such as listening, speaking, reading, and writing to improve students' language abilities, while also contributing to curricula on English and American literature, as well as studies in the field of linguistics. We are trying to improve the level of understanding of literature to facilitate cultural understanding, which is fundamental for successful and attuned linguistic acquisition.
The major features of the English department curriculum are its focus on practical English education such as interview English, practical business English, business listening skills, English translation practice, English conversation, English composition, current issues, and affairs, tourism English, and TOEIC English.
In addition, through the establishment of the Interpretation and Translation Curriculum, we will give the opportunity to obtain professional knowledge and skills in interpretation and translation such as English translation practice in conjunction with English-Korean and Korean-English sequential interpretation.
In addition, with native English-speaking professors who have various English education experiences, students in our program are trained in listening, speaking skills, systematic reading, and writing skills. Furthermore, we have secured high-tech educational facilities such as multimedia classrooms and a variety of language education equipment to run a systematic curriculum that combines theory and practice to improve students' language skills.
Career Options after Graduation
Graduates from the English department can fulfill their personal dreams and contribute to society and national development with their English proficiency in various fields.
Potential Career Fields
- Education: Researchers in the English linguistics field can continue their studies in graduate schools, or start careers as elementary, middle, or high school English teachers.
- Public Sector: 7th and 9th level general administrative positions of public organizations, positions in the local government (city hall, the provincial government, etc.), or public corporations.
- Tourism: Positions in airline or travel agencies to advance into business areas such as language support and international document translation, travel guides, and airline ground staff.
- National or Private Companies: Jobs available in the Yeosu National Industrial Complex, petrochemical companies, financial institutions, general corporations, and trading companies in business areas such as interpreting, translating, and producing documents.
- Official language proficiency tests: TOEFL, TOEIC, TOEIC SPEAKING, etc.
- Trade English Test Levels 1, 2, & 3 and translators/interpreters' certificate
- Certificates related to tourism interpretation guide, tourism, tourism accommodation, etc.
- Teacher’s Certificate (English)