The tourism industry is a high value-added industry in which contents from various fields such as economy, society, culture, and history of a country are converged. It has greatly contributed to the economic growth of each country and the enhancement of national brand values, thus the country is actively fostering human resources, expanding investments to build the infrastructure in this field in order to enhance tourism competitiveness.
In line with this trend, the Department of Cultural Tourism Management aims to cultivate global creative experts who will strengthen the foundations of local tourism, such as cultural tourism, marine tourism, etc., and contribute to the development of the MICE (meetings, incentives, conferencing, exhibitions) industry, which is drawing attention as a strategic industry for enhancing national competitiveness.
In order to provide systematic major education and practical training, the department is conducting a variety of cooperative programs with industries, governments, and academic institutions while also converging cultural tourism contents and international capabilities so that graduates can understand the expected trends of the future and act as experts in the tourism field. It is actively supporting convergence cultural tourism contents and global competence strengthening through various programs. Based on this, graduates of this department can act as tourism experts who will demonstrate their competence in the overall tourism sector and public institutions such as cultural tourism and the wider MICE industry.
Career Options after Graduation
Graduates of this department can advance to graduate schools and research institutes, national and public institutions, and establish their own business in domestic and foreign tourism-related businesses.
Potential Career Fields
- Tourism-related Companies: Domestic and international hotels, casinos, resorts, cruises, convention centers, travel agencies, etc.
- Research Institutes: Korea Culture & Tourism Institute, Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements, Seoul Institute, Gyeonggi Research Institute, Incheon Institute, Busan Development Institute, Gwangju Jeonnam Research Institute, etc.
- National and Public Enterprise: Government organizations related to tourism in both central and local governments, Korea Tourism Organization and local tourism organizations, etc.
- Graduate school: Graduates can enter graduate schools and work as professional researchers
- Hotel manager, Hotel general manager, convention meeting planner level 1 and 2
- Domestic tour guide, tour conductor, tourist guide, cultural tourism commentator and cultural heritage commentator